Sunday, March 21, 2010

February Feats

There were many little feats for our family during the month of February.  Here they are in no particular order.  We enjoyed a wonderful Saturday picnic with Shane and Laura and their boys and Grandma and Grandpa and Lindsey and Rachael.  Poor Auntie Shellie.  On her way into Maverick, she tripped and fell over a parking lot median.  She ended up pulling a hamstring so she and Allen were unable to join us for the day.  Too bad it didn't turn out to be more of a lovely day for them!  The kids have been really sweet in praying for Shellie's leg to get better soon!

This was our feat for the day..we made it to the tops of the sand dunes.  Aren't we good?!


Grandma and Grandpa even hiked up part way..a sure feat for them!

Another weekend we were priveleged to be joined by our cousins Kara and Joe and their baby Zachary.  They live in Lethbridge and were on their way to visit Joe's parents in California.  It was a feat for Zachary, as an only child to survive our home full of 5 children!  He did so good.  We even got to babysit him for an hour while his parents went shopping.  Ella had her own little feat of feeding little Zachary his lunch.  Way to go Ella!


Too bad the weather wasn't nicer when our guests were visiting.  It didn't stop the girls from having fun though.  They were "singing in the rain!"


The boys' Blue and Gold Banquet was a great feat.  There was a cake decorating contest and boy was that fun.  They were both so creative in choosing which kind of cake they wanted.  Caden actually helped me with the whole decorating process for his army tank.  He iced the cake, provided the toys, thought of his title of "tankarama" and even helped in the clean up.  Thanks Cade!  Carter ended up having strep that day so I wouldn't let him help me but he chose to do a Zelda cake.  Thank goodness for the internet and fabulous ideas!

The kids favorite part about this chocolate cake was the oreo sticks used for the sign and cannon.  Thank goodness we only used 3 cookies and that they came in a package.  They were sampled by all and were very yummy.  It was quite interesting coming up with the icing colors.  It took a lot of mixing and experimenting to come up with the army greens.
Carter's was a white cake..my favorite.  I didn't have a toy Link action figure so I just printed one off and made it double sided and stuffed him with a bit of marshmallow to make him look somewhat 3 dimensional.

Caden earned a red bead that night.  Wahoo!  Everyone in the ward had an opportunity to vote on which cake was their favorite.  Another cake won that had diggers and dump trucks on it.  It was cool and appealed to a lot of the younger boys. 

Holy cow, were we ever excited with the Canadian hockey team's feat of winning the gold.  We didn't celebrate much that actual day and after hearing about what all of our families did to celebrate I felt ashamed and had to make up for it.  So, the following day I decided to make some patriotic cakes of the flag and share them with neighbors that had teased and congratulated us along the way during the Olympic games.  We delivered them on Family night to the Robisons and Houskeepers.  We do appreciate how our neighbors support and love us even if we are Canadian!!


Going to a Colbie Caillat concert with my best friend was a great way to end wonderful February.  It's sometimes a feat for mothers to get away!  Lyndsi invited me along and spoiled us with front row seats.  It was fantastic and was definitely one of my most favorite concerts.  I loved every bit of it and was sad when it was over.  She is a super talented artist.  I was wishing that Lyndsi would join Colbie and double wow us with the talent on stage!
Her band members were very entertaining and fun.  Every single note was lovely to listen to!

Thank you Lyndsi for such a fun night out and goodbye February!

8 comments:

Lyndsi said...

What a fun-filled February you had! And if anyone can accomplish that many feats, it is certainly you! The sand dunes pictures are so pretty. Ella is such a cutie helping her little cousin! The boys' cakes were outstanding, as well as the Canadian victory treats - thanks! And our concert was absolutely a great way to finish February. I loved going with you!

Lyndsi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josie said...

Wow Mel! What a great February! Looks like a lot of excitement to me. I love the boys cakes! You guys did a such a great job. The army cake is pretty awesome and ya, wow, how did you get those colors?! And I just have to tell you that I really admire how sweet you are with all the company that you have! You are such a gracious host to all the family you have come stay. Oh and we absolutely loved our Canadian treat, it was so darling of you! I took some pics of us with the cake and was going to do a cute post about it, but I looked terrible in the pics so I couldn't bring myself to post them. So just know we loved it! :)

Staci said...

Your cakes and parties are always so creative. I love them. Your kids will have such fun memories of the birthdays.

Woodwards said...

Love the tank cake! Cool! And strawberries to make a Canada cake - that's a great idea! Got to love all the red rock in the background of your hiking pictures. What a beautiful place on earth! Sure love you Melly! You're fabulous! :-)

Sheers said...

Great post mel! I loved all the different pictures.
It looks so warm and beautiful there....ahhhhh. Reminds me of the hike we took when we were there.
You're always so sweet to let everybody stay with you as they pass through town. You're so welcoming, and your kids too. I love your house!
Those cakes are fantastic. All the different army greens - wow. And super creative. I love it! And the marshmallow stuffed Zelda...I never would have thought of that. How long did those take you? What a fun activity. (mostly because they have a fun mom to help them make such awesome cakes)

Crystal said...

You are such a good mom! I know I have said this a million times but I seriously admire all you do for your kids. You are definately one of the most selfless people I know! How did it go tonight at the tabernacle? My kids had a major breakdown right before we were going to leave and I was totally bummed to miss it. I bet you did awesome!

Hasslers said...

What a fun place to hike - we will have to check it out when we are there! Love the cakes boys! How creative of you, Mel, to stuff a paper Link with marshmallow - I need to be around you and all your fabulous ideas! Way to go with the Canadian cake, surely loved that last game, just wonderful! How fun to go to Colbie's concert - she is a beautiful singer, what a fun night with your BFF! Can't wait to see you soon!