Sunday, April 4, 2010

Spring Fever or Cabin Fever?

Spring break started March 8th and lasted the whole week and a day.  My kids were feeling Spring Fever and we had so many park dates set up but the weather just wouldn't cooperate.  So, we made the best of being indoors.  Thus, for some it may have turned into cabin fever but for most of us it didn't.  I actually quite enjoyed having the kids home and being able to spend quality time with them.  It was so nice to not have to rush off to this or that and to just take our time!

The first day of Spring break, I loaded the kids up in the van for a trip to Costco.  We were spending our entertainment money on snacks.  I rarely buy junky snacks as they would disappear in seconds.  It was great to get pop tarts, corn nuts, cheezits, pretzels, gogurts, cheese sticks, juice boxes, and crackers.  We were now prepared to take on the week or at least the day for that matter!  The night before, Carter had invited his 2 best friends, Tait, and Kristian over for a "blue book" party.  The 5th graders have an option of passing this off by the beginning of April.  They memorize states, the declaration of independence, all the presidents, etc.  I think it's a wonderful project.

Here they are studying and the girls were their waitresses taking their orders for snacks.  Emmy and Ella were SO excited to do this, they could hardly sleep.  Cute, huh!
We had a few other waitresses and waiters to help out.  Elle, Sinjin, and Amara

I think those snacks were more appealing than the studying.  Kristian brought the yummy caramel popcorn..mmm, even I enjoyed that, a little too much!
Caden was excited to invite his friend Cole over.  They don't get to play outside of school a whole lot.

The next day was a library, read in the clubhouse day.  We invited the Houskeepers over.  Again, those yummy snacks were just so much better than reading. 
We ended up putting on the old version of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".  They were mesmorzied!

On Saturday Curtis was busy at work in the yard.  He had the kids help him out while I went for a run.
The girls' outdoor sink!

Caden was thrilled to test out neighbor Jace Fullmer's four wheeler.  He would love one of his own!

We also went to Jumpin' Jacks, the pet store followed by a slushie at Sonic, and the park a few times.  We had to take advantage of the few sunshinie moments!  I wasn't quite able to get a picture of it all but just use your imaginations!

7 comments:

Kathryn said...

You really are one of the funnest mom's I know. You always plan such fun activities for your family. Where do you come up with all your cute ideas? Will you plan our spring break for us next year...it was kind of lame! ;) Better yet...will you plan our summer?

Josie said...

Wow Mel, you did a great job making all the being indoors fun! I love the girls being waitresses, so cute! Looks like a fun time! And next year when your planning Kathryn's spring break, go ahead and plan mine too! :)

Hasslers said...

Way to make an indoor spring break fun! I love how you set up a clubhouse for your kids! So cute about Ella and Emmy wanting to be waitresses. Hey, I want some of those yummy snacks! Good job on getting your children to help out with yard work - my little ones just LOVE yard work - ha ha. You should hear the groaning and moaning! It's good for them! Can't wait to see you guys soon!

Angie Stewart Black said...

I'm smiling right now. I thought only my 8 year old Jayden played server!!! He loves to come in with a menu that he has written up and we all order...he has a towel draped over his arm....we have to tip....so funny. Looks like you guys had a fun Spring Break. You always pull thru in the fun department! Good Job!

Unknown said...

So much fun! I thought the same thing about spring break. The weather didn't cooperate, but we had so much fun just being together. You are such a fun mom!

Esplin 5 said...

You really are such a great mom! I love the Clubhouse and you girls look so adorable in their hats!

Lyndsi said...

The highlight of our Spring Break was having our reading/movie time with your sweet family! Way to be so creative and make every moment count. Speaking of counting - I'm totally counting the days 'til our "Hankeeper" family vacation! :)