Sunday, January 30, 2011

Christmas performances!

I absolutely love attending these wonderful performances that our children are involved in at Christmas time.  There is no better way to get into the spirit of the season than by hearing our familiar and favorite holiday tunes!
First up is Mr. Caden with his Horizon Elementary Choir.

This is the tree lighting ceremony at Washington City Park.
How appropriate that they would sing "Oh, Christmas Tree."  This is Evey's favorite of the choir's and she was often humming it throughout the month!
 Concentrating hard at the Dicken's Festival.
Finally, at his very own school with a great combo of Christmas melodies and narration.  The choir also attended some rest homes, so they were a busy bunch.  I know Caden sure enjoyed all of the field trips!

Next up, the piano recital entitled, "My Favorite Things."  I had my students draw one of their favorite things about Christmas, and then hold up an item representing it before their performance, at the recital.  Lyndsi helped me with these cute programs.  Thanks again, Lynds.  You are endlessly contributing to my life!

Then I asked everyone to dress in Christmas colors.  This is what the Hancock family came up with!

Ella started the show with her adorable performance of "My Favorite Things", from "The Sound of Music".  At first, she was a little timid, then after a  few measures had passed, she was warmed up!  She's been taking voice lessons from Lyndsi and just loves it.  Ofcourse, who wouldn't!
 Emery and Elle shared a duet, "Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem".  They are the cutest friends and did so well with it all memorized!  Emery's solo piece was "Silent Night".  She knew her songs backwards and forwards!
 Carter and Caden performed their duet, "The First Noel".  Carter's solo was, "What Child Is This" and Caden's was, "Hark the Herald..".  They had the solos memorized and just flew through them!
I had to put the handsome Luke Houskeeper in this post!  This was his first piano recital ever, yet he made it look like he was an experienced perfomer.  He spoke and played with such confidence and class!  What a guy!  I sure love teaching him!
My children are so blessed to have Katie for their piano teacher.  She is always so kind, motivating, and instructive to the kids.  Thanks for helping them be so prepared, Katie!

I always like to give my students a reward at the end of the night.  They went home with a "My Favorite Things" bag.  I found all of their favorite things in small form, at various stores, and then I had fun putting them together!  Good job students-you deserved it with all of your hard work in practicing! 



Now, here we have sweet Ella-Bella, at her first singing recital.  Lyndsi had a little gathering at the church with her students.  Oh, they were all just so sweet!  Especially our Ella!  She sang, "My Favorite Things", and "That Night in the Stable".  The second one was my favorite.  It was just so pure and innocent and really helped us picture the Savior's birth.  Good singing Ella!  We can't wait to hear more!
Lyndsi is THE best!  We were so lucky to hear Lyndsi sing, "O Holy Night" and to hear her accompany on the guitar.  She also gave her students her new CD, "Higher".  What a lovely gift!  We love her music and listen to it always!  Thank you, Lynds, for giving Ella this wonderful opportunity!

Here is Caden again in a class performance!  The students illustrated the front covers of the programs-so cute!  They were asked to wear red and green.  This class has a majority of boys, so there was some excitement for sure! 
 Caden had a speaking part.  I'll have to ask him what he said, and put it in soon.  I know it was short and sweet!
Mrs. Anderson found out who took piano lessons and then had each of those students accompany the class in their singing.  Caden got chosen for, "Oh Christmas Tree".  It was pretty much a one hander!  He did so well and looked so cute!  These are definitely great parent moments!

In the middle of the month Carter had his orchestra show.  His cello sounds were ringing sweetly in the air.  He is so good at it and they performed many songs.  He enjoys sitting by his buddy, Tait.

Last is the performance of some newly aquired street hockey skills!  I was so excited to learn that this class was being offered in the fall.  My children were the only ones that signed up, so we recruited Carter's friends, Kristian and Tait, and then had the Belnap siblings and the Hancock siblings join too.  What fun!  It was a whole different story for the kids to learn to play hockey on a pair of roller blades.  They did so well and Carter especially caught on!  This is the group in action on their last Saturday in December.
 Here they are with coach Spencer Dobson.

I am so pleased that my children can experience and learn so many wonderful things in life.  I am blessed that they are healthy and well to do so.

3 comments:

Lyndsi said...

This is a wonderful post, and just the beginning of your fun-filled December, right?? What great moments for your children - we love them so! We thoroughly enjoyed your "My Favorite Things" recital. Luke is so blessed to learn to love piano from your great instruction. This was a special memory for our family! THANK YOU! And I just love spending time with sweet Ella and seeing her enjoy singing so much. She is already a pro - she performed SO well! Your little ones are so blessed to have these opportunities you are providing for them. Thanks for inspiring me always!

Josie said...

Love the Hancocks in their Christmas colors! You family looks adorable, as usual! What a great job you do with your recitals Mel!

Chelsea Sheer said...

Way to go Hancock family! All those fun events they're involved in! I am looking forward to attending school performances - a great way to celebrate accomplishments. And I know you told me all about your favorite things concert but it was even cuter than I imagined. You are such a creative and cute piano teacher. I so wish my kids could take piano from you!