Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My solo conference weekend

How lucky am I to have had a whole weekend on my own filled with spiritual nourishment? We were originally going to go up north as a family but realized that it would be a very short weekend with virtually no time spent with the cousins. Realizing that this would be hard on the kids Curtis stepped up and was willing and happy to stay home with the children while I got the lucky trip. Thanks Curtis for the fine job you did. The kids had fun hanging out with Grandma and Grandpa Hancock so thanks to you both as well. I travelled up in the little Honda with no potty breaks or fights or screaming episodes. It was acutally quite lovely. Then I was filled with even more great news. I was attending 3 sessions of conference at the conference center. I had to be on standby for the Saturday afternoon session but that was no problem. It was very rainy outside so I was grateful for Cynthia's umbrella . It was nice to just worry about myself and in fact I really didn't have to. My transportation was arranged and Cynthia made me a lunch. Wow..what service. I noticed that a common theme among the talks were about having joy in this life. I especially enjoyed the words of Prez. Uchtodorf on the power of hope. I loved his quote of "hope is the beam of sunlight that pierces the darkness like a brilliant dawn." My 2 other favorites were Elaine Dalton's on temples and President Monson's on gratitude. He said, "readapt our lives to have gratitude and find joy in the journey." I really appreciate the time these good leaders spend into pondering and gathering their inspirations for these wonderful talks. One other highlight for me of the conference experience was listening to the gorgeous music. When we were all singing "Come Ye Children of the Lord" it really hit home to me when we sang the lyrics of Christ coming and the earth being cleansed from all iniquity. At that moment I could not wait for the time! Anyways...I could go on and on. Thanks for bearing with my thoughts and feelings.

I was so excited to get a picture in the conference center. I saw many others doing it so I followed the crowd. Thanks mom and dad for the experience. It was amazing! I absolutely treasured these moments at conference spent with my brother Graham and my nephew Josh. It was so fun to sit with them and get a chance to visit. What a great thing for Graham to drive down all that way since Josh is 12 now. He asked Dad a year ago for tickets to priesthood. Sweet! I always want to go to priesthood because I hear time and time again that it is definitely the best session. Hmmm...maybe next time I could sneak in the back? Isn't my niece Jenna the sweetest?! It was so exciting to attend the Saturday afternoon session and listen to the angelic voices of the children's primary choir. I was sitting with her dad Mike and we were at a distance so it was quite challenging to pick out where she was. We kept looking for a red head in pink and we came up with about 4 Jenna's until the camera spotted her. I guess her original spot in the choir changed and that is why it was so difficult to find her. So much planning goes into a production like this. Cynthia was in charge of taking the group of kids from her ward to practices and dress rehearsals. There were about 7 practices at 2 hours each. The general primary board came to view them. Wow....what an experience Jenna! You were awesome and sang so beautifully! Thanks for sharing your testimony. I love you! It was great to attend Samantha Grace's baby blessing. I guess in the blessing circle Graham said she was smiling up at Spencer and he felt as though she knew what was going on. Spencer gave her a beautiful blessing. She was blessed to be very joyful and was told she was a miracle. So neat. She is a very special little spirit. This is a picture of my brother Spencer with his wife Lori. I just loved holding Samantha. She is such a beautiful little girl. Cute little Sam with her grins for Grandma Carter.
Thanks my family for such a lovely weekend! I cherished every moment!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the conference center just the best? I never mind waiting in line because I know that the best is still coming! I love the pics of all your kids!

Tonya said...

Mel, as usual, you touched me with your beautiful descriptions. I have only been to conference in the center once, but my favorite was definitely the music too! Hearing 25,000 people all singing praise to the Lord was a miraculous experience. Thanks for sharing your special time!

Sheers said...

I just have to tell you you're gorgeous. Love the pic of you in the conf. center with mom and dad.

Marisa Smith said...

WOW!!! Mealnie what a great trip. it was so awesome to see your pics and here of the time you had. What a neat family you have too. It is nice to get away from the kids once in a while to focus on the "Big Picture" isn't it! I have never been to any conference session and have a goal to go very soon. Sure miss our old times together- Marisa

The King Family said...

That is so neat! AND, everyone needs a little time away. Curtis seems like such a good Dad and I know you are such a good Mom. I am glad you got to get away.