This week our pianists performed at the Southern Utah Performing Arts Festival. This big event happens every February for a lot of musicians including choirs, bands, and other instrumentalists. This is the 3rd year that I have entered my students and it was another success! I am so proud of them all! This is such a wonderful experience that everyone learns from..including myself. It's not a competition but a performance for oneself. After performing their song a student is critiqued and encouraged by an adjuticator. I have felt nothing but postiveness from them all. For the most part everyone goes away wanting to do better and to continue on as a musician! All the hours of practicing and instructing sure pay off in a small moment like this. As cheezie as it sounds, I often get teary eyed during performances..because I know what has been invested...so to all my students..CONGRATULATIONS for a job well done and to all of you wonderful parents..it couldn't have been done without you!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU! You probably all feel the performance piece was just as much yours as it was your child's!
Katie, you are such a wonderful teacher to my kids..they did amazingly well. Thanks! All 3 of them left with a "superior" rating which is the highest you can get, 90-100 %! Way to go my Hancock gang!
Carter performed first with "March Militaire". It was virtually flawless and had a wonderful steady beat as a march should go. Comments from his judge included; very nice accents and strong tones. Good dynamics. You will go far as a musician. One thing that I found funny was that she told him she could tell that he LOVED piano. I think deep down he does, but like most of us all feel, it is a chore to practice! Carter is the most vocal in expressing his dislike of practice time. I just had to chuckle inside! She was also impressed with his suit. She called him a "little man" to which Carter wasn't too thrilled about.
Caden was next. His song was called "The Merry Farmer." He too sailed through it! It was one of her favorite songs and she liked his steady beat and was impressed with his memorization of it.
Emery was the last one to perform with "Yankee Doodle." Another perfect performance. The judge told her she is such a cute girl and that she was so brave at 6 years old to come and play her song memorized and to not be scared about it!

After the festival I rewarded the kids with a lunch to Taco Bell and a treat at Maverick. They were pretty stoked to be missing school. What a great mom day! I loved it!
Today I had the rest of my students perform. They all did so well with pieces all memorized and received many positive comments and high ratings. These are the ones who performed: Wyatt and Jaratt Earle, Aydia and Elle Melo, Taylor and Shaylie Jesienouski, Katie Blake, Emma Lawes, and McKenzie Thornton. Job well done guys! Thanks for all the time you took to practice. It was worth every minute. Now we can all take a great big sigh of relief...AHHHH!
8 comments:
That is awesome for you and your students! What a neat feeling to see them feel so good about sharing their talents. Your family picture is so cute! How is it that you are so thin after having 5 kids, and sane? I'm stuggling with the idea of possibly having 4. You are amazing!
-April
Thanks to you Melanie!!! You are so positive and encouraging to my girls! I appreciate all the patience you must have...I know I often run out with my Shaylie especially, but she is showing amazing improvement thanks to your teaching skills! And you are such a great role model for Taylor! She is learning so much from you...more than I could have hoped! You need to be congratulated too! Thanks for all you do!
You are such a great teacher. You are inspirational and patient. I am so excited for your kids and students. Caden came over for the food drive and Aydia was here, they were comparing their scores! It was so funny. They had to "up" one another. They were like, "I got like a 90 or 95" Then the other one was like "I got a 96 I think" then the other one was like "Yeah, me too, I think I got like a 96 or 97!" So funny!
Your kids look so good and DID so good! Good job Mel. The only bad thing about you being such an awesome piano teacher there is that you're not HERE!
I love your kids' smiling faces (and I'm still getting used to Carter's beautiful braceless smile - since I don't see him so often. We miss you!)
That's so great Mel! I was excited to read you and Tonya's posts about SUPAF- Ryan is the pres. of the St. George exchange club and they help out with it every year. This is the first year I've actually known someone who was participating and benefiting from it! So now I can feel like he was doing something great, instead of just one more thing to keep him gone! Glad everyone did so great!
Way to go Melanie! Your kids look so darling and happy. What a lucky group of students to have the best teachers possible. (Good work Katie, too!) Congrats on a successful festival!
I am so glad you do that for your students - how motivational for them to perform and receive such high praise! I would have loved to be there. Way to go by having your boys in piano and encouraging them in their endeavors! You rock smelly!
Wow that is so cool! Your kids look so cute!! I love that your boys are playing piano! Good job on all your effort!
Post a Comment