Sunday, June 21, 2009

I love to see the temple

We had a really nice FHE this week. I was reading a parenting book and came across a suggestion to provide religious pictures in the home. We have a few but not enough in my opinion. Then I thought about the wonderful idea my sister had done with her children in taking a picture of them individually in front of the Draper temple when it was dedicated and then framing it for them to have in their rooms. So this is what we did. We picked up a pizza and had a picnic dinner, then took pictures and walked around the grounds. Even on the outside perimeters of the temple we felt peace. It is such a wonderful place to be and have. We are blessed to live so close and I also felt blessed that day to share the importance of it with my children. Now they have a picture to remind them of where they will go one day.





Our sweet little Ella loves to point out where the temple is when we are driving. A few days ago when we were riding into town she excitedly told me to look at the beautiful temple. She then said, "mom, as long as we see the temple we will never get lost!" Then she says, "I know why Heavenly Father and Jesus gave us temples! It's so that we'll never be lost!" I loved her wisdom that day. I thought a lot about what she said and it's true..even if I had totally gotten lost driving and saw the temple then it would be such a comfort and safe place to turn. The temple is always there and waiting for us. I love it! Our lesson today in RS was on temples so I am feeling very grateful for them. "I love to see the temple" was one of my most favorite primary songs as a child. I sing it in my head every time I see a temple.

8 comments:

Lyndsi said...

Melanie - what a wonderful message! Thank you! Each of your children are so precious, and surely they will always remember that special FHE with their sweet pictures in their rooms. Ella - what a wise little soul! Mel - you've taught your children so well. You are an amazing mom. I'm so blessed by your example. Love you!!

P.S. We definitely need to make it to the temple before July! You say when! :)

Kathryn said...

What a great idea! Such beautiful pictures of the kids too! You're a great mom!

Sheers said...

What great pictures Mel! It will be awesome for them to each have their own picture in their room. Ella, what a little sweetie. She says the cutest things and is really close to the spirit. And it is a reflection on how you teach her (and all your kids) that is what she would say. I agree with Lyndsi - you're a wonderful mom!

Jenny said...

What beautiful pictures of your kids infront of the temple. And what a sweet comment that Ella made. So true! That is such a great memory for them.

Josie said...

Mel, what a great post! I love the picture idea. I am going to have to do that. And the pics of your kids are darling, especially the girls! Very sweet. I love Ella's thoughts, she has no idea how right she is! What a great lesson for all of us, she is such a little angel.

Tonya said...

I loved this idea! What a cute fun FHE.

Hasslers said...

Way to go, Mel! It is such a spiritually powerful thing for children to see that picture of themselves in front of the temple, and wonderful pictures, by the way! Ella is such a sweetheart, so right on with her statments. Love the faith and pureness of little children.

Jenny said...

What great pictures of your kids infront of the temple. You have such cute kids Mel. And what a sweet comment made by Ella.